Waldorf Lutheran College Association of Congregations
Ever since Waldorf College was established in 1903 it had been owned by an Association of Congregations. In January of 2010, the college was purchased by Mayes Education, Inc. and that Association dissolved.
However, on September 21, 2010, more than 70 Lutheran bishops, pastors and church delegates met to establish a new Waldorf Lutheran Association of Congregations on the college campus to continue the tradition. The Association continues to play a vital role in the prayer support of Waldorf College, and in encouraging their youth to consider attending Waldorf.
Currently, 25 Lutheran congregations (ELCA and LCMC) are members of the new Association. The Association welcomes any Lutheran congregation as membership benefits the Waldorf Lutheran College Foundation, Association of Congregations, and each congregational member.
The Affirmation and Purpose of the Association is as follows:
We affirm that salvation is by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, son of God the Father and the sustaining power of the Holy Spirit. The Waldorf Lutheran Association of Congregations, in conjunction with the Waldorf Lutheran College Foundation, will support and promote an active campus Christian ministry at Waldorf College. This ministry may include worship opportunities, the religious growth of the students, faculty and staff, and leadership for campus activities. The Waldorf Lutheran Association of Congregations will also support the Waldorf Lutheran College Foundation’s work to provide scholarships and communicate College/Foundation news to alumni and the community.
A. The Waldorf Lutheran College Foundation’s Commitment to Association Congregations
- To share its Learning Partner status with Waldorf College and Columbia Southern University (CSU) with Association Congregations at no charge. This includes:
- Providing all church members, their spouses and children with a 10% discount for all distance education/hybrid courses taken at Waldorf College; waiving the application fee; and not charging a fee for textbooks.
- Providing a one- time $500 scholarship toward the first year tuition cost for all church members, their spouses, and children who enroll in Waldorf’s regular on-campus program and waiving the application fee.
- Providing all church members, their spouses and children who choose to take online courses at Columbia Southern University a 10% discount on tuition rates; waiving the application fee; and not charging a fee for textbooks.
- It is the sole responsibility of the student to inform the Admissions Counselor at Waldorf or CSU that as a member of an Association Congregation, they are entitled to learning partner status benefits through the Waldorf Foundation.
- To offer all Association Churches, 10 complimentary tickets to Waldorf College athletic events and 10 complimentary tickets to Waldorf College fine arts events. All members of Association Congregations and their immediate families will also receive a 10% discount on clothing and imprinted items at the Waldorf Bookstore.
- To offer congregations access to College and Foundation news immediately through an insider email blast which can then be shared with the entire congregation via church bulletins.
B. Association Congregation’s Commitment to the Waldorf Lutheran College Foundation
- To support the Waldorf Lutheran College Foundation with an annual monetary gift.
- To pray for Waldorf College, its leadership, faculty, staff, and students.
- To encourage students to consider attending Waldorf College whenever possible.
- To speak well of the College and the Foundation and promote them whenever possible.
- To promote the congregation’s relationship with the Association/ Foundation on their church website or through other communication venues.
The annual meeting of the Waldorf Lutheran Association of Congregations is held each October on campus. The following officers have been elected to serve the Association for the 2014-2015 term:
President – Rev. Matthew Griggs, Central Freeborn Lutheran Church, Albert Lea, MN
Vice President – Rev. Lynn Noel ’07, Bethany Lutheran Church, Thompson, IA
Secretary – Arlene Jorde ’56, delegate from Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Manly, IA
If interested in joining the Association or learning more about it, please contact Rita Gilbertson at email@example.com or 641-585-8140.